Planting Seeds for the Future
Escape the stress and noise of city life. Decompress, surround yourself with nature and reconnect with the world around you. Enjoy fresh meals made with organic produce while spending time with family and friends. It sounds like a perfect weekend getaway, but at West 5 you can have this every day, all you need is a plot in our community garden.
Turning off the screens and getting out into the garden has benefits that extend beyond simply having easy and affordable access to local organic food. By literally putting down roots in your West 5 community garden, you’ll also be improving your physical and mental well-being while contributing to a more connected society and a healthier planet.
Did you know:
- Growing your own food is an excellent way to ensure that it’s free from chemical pesticides and preservatives. It’s also great physical exercise which is relaxing and combats stress.
- Gardening benefits the ecosystem by encouraging pollinators like the colony of bees from Heff’s Hives living on the rooftop of the Sifton Discovery Centre.
- Homegrown produce eliminates the need for food packaging while composting further reduces the amount of waste going to the landfill.
- For children, gardening is a hands-on learning experience with opportunity to learn from older generations how to grow, harvest, and cook food. It teaches the importance of sustainability while promoting responsibility and encouraging good eating habits.
- A community gardening space brings people together, creating a sense of like-mindedness. It’s a place where where neighbours can become friends, sharing not only the bounty of their harvest, but knowledge and laughs as well.
If you’d like to get outdoors, dig in and plant seeds for the future, the community gardens in West 5 will offer you the perfect opportunity to do just that!