Living the Hygge Life
It’s that time of year again. The days are getting shorter and the air is getting a little cooler. It’s time again to hunker down for the winter months, pull out our winter jackets and boots, and embrace this very Canadian time of year. And with all that, winter also brings us the greatest gift the cold weather could offer: the ability to “hygge”.
Hygge (pronounced “hoo-gah”), is a Danish word that means a feeling of happiness, comfy coziness, and a general feeling of wellbeing that comes from the little things in life that fill us with warmth during these cold winter days.
In Denmark, a country consistently honoured with the title “Happiest Country on Earth”, Hygge is a way of life, and the reason most Danes believe they have been given honored with this lovely title. It’s the feeling you get when you’re wrapped in your favourite blanket, or when you take your first sip of hot cocoa. It’s cuddling with a loved one while watching your favourite movie on a gusty winter day. It’s the warmth of a fireplace as you settle in to read a great book. To live the hygge life is to embrace being indoors, not because you have to, but because there is no other place you’d rather be.
Hygge is a lifestyle that really resonates with our DNA here at West 5. Our community thrives on the wellbeing of each other (and our planet!), and finding ways to bring people together to enjoy the beauty of winter, along with all other seasons, makes us feel right at home. Hygge is also about bringing people together, making them feel at home and sharing that cozy feeling it gives each of us wherever we can.
So how can we find ways to start living the Hygge life? Well, odds are you probably already are and may not even know it, but more importantly, there are always ways to make your life even “hygge-er”!
- Light candles: Candles provide a warm glow and a cozy feeling that can be added to almost any occasion for that extra dose of Hygge.
- Spend time with friends & family: Spending time with those we love naturally gives us that warm and fuzzy feeling of Hygge.
- Sit by the fireplace: There aren’t many things in life that give more Hygge than a warm fire on a cold winter’s night. It ignites each of our senses and encourages us to cozy up and connect with each other.
- Blankets, sweaters and socks, oh my!: Wrapping yourself up in something soft and warm, whether it’s a sweater, sweatpants or a blanket, is oh so Hygge! It’s the season to bundle up, so choose your coziest piece and let the Hygge set in.
- Cooking for others: Hosting intimate dinner parties is a huge part of the Danish culture. It’s not about dressing fancy or elaborate dishes, it’s about comfort food, comfy clothes and making time for those we love. Taking time to cook for friends and family is a large piece of the Hygge lifestyle. It allows us to slow down, focus on those we love, and take in the moment.
Those are just a few hygge examples but there are so many more!
At the core, it’s about the simple things in life and allowing ourselves to disconnect from our work, our devices, and anything that takes us away from the current moment, and just enjoy the things that truly make us happy. And while you can certainly experience Hygge in the summer too, these beautiful cold winter days set the stage for the perfect hygge night. Come and enjoy the hygge life with us at West 5!